Hiker Shuttles In Arkansas and Oklahoma
Updated March 13, 2009
The following are the shuttle services that I am aware of in the Ouachitas and Ozarks. I have used several in the past and was provided others by FoOT (Friends of the Ouachita Trail) and hikers visiting this page. None of us are associated with these parties so any shuttle arrangement it between you and them. You should call ahead of time to make arrangements and discuss the price of your trip, because most are not staffed for drop-in service and the cost of a shuttle may be higher than you are anticipating (they have to cover gas, the actual round-trip road mileage, wear and tear and the cost of the driver).
If you are aware of any other shuttles or find out that someone on the list is no longer providing the service, please email me and I’ll update this list.
Buffalo River Trail
Ozark Highlands Trail
- Moore Outdoors, near Dover and Long Pool AR, 479-331-3606. Located where AR 164 crosses the Big Piney, they also offer canoe and raft rental. http://www.mooreoutdoors.com/
- Hagarville Store, Hagarville AR, 479-885-6330. Located at the west end of town on the south side of Highway 123 (about a half mile west of where 123 and 164 split). The store is open seven days a week except Christmas (6am-6pm Mon-Fri, 7am-6pm Sat, 8am-6pm Sun). They have groceries, gasoline, diesel, ice, soft drinks, deli sandwiches, ice cream, camp supplies and FREE coffee. They provide shuttles to the Ozone, Fairview and Richland Creek areas. Call for prices and options. Allow at least three days notice. Email Mark Hodge.
- Turner Bend, Ozark AR, 479-667-3641. Located on AR 23 at Mulberry bridge south of Cass AR. http://www.turnerbend.com/oz_high_trail.html
Ouachita Trail – Oklahoma
- Big Cedar RV Park, Big Cedar OK, 918-651-3271. Big Cedar RV is only providing hiker shuttles for their guests. (April 7, 2008)
- Michael G Fulks, 918-383-0060.
- Ouachita Trail Shuttles, Page OK. Besides shuttle service, Ouachita Trail Guide provides guide service and re-supply.
- Talking Trees Campground, Hodgens OK, (918) 653-2187. Located 2.8 miles west of the junction of US 270 and US 259. http://www.talking-trees.com/default.htm. Talking Trees has a campground, modern cabins and the new Seminole Long House for groups. Showers, spa, massage (24 hour notice) and breakfast with homemade biscuits (YES!) are available for guests.
- Woodswitch Farm, Mena AR, 479-437-3549, mobile 936-825-1441. Located 2.2 miles east the AR/OK border on AR 8 (OK 63). Besides hiker shuttles, Woodswitch boards horses and can help with equestrian shuttles. Ask for Sam. www.woodswitch.com.
Ouachita Trail – Arkansas
- X Jim Fite, Black Fork AR. Sadly Mr. Fite passed away. From all of us whom he helped, we will hold you fondly in our memories.
Rich Mt. Country Store, Mena AR, 479-394-5300. Located near the intersection of Hwy 270 & 272 near OT mile 57. Hwy 272 is the road to Queen Wilhelmina State Park. Last I heard they were not shuttling, however, if you come up empty, maybe they know someone. Besides, we had a great post-hike breakfast at the store (a mile from the US270 trailhead) and just want to plug them. http://hometown.aol.com/rmcountrystore/myhomepage/profile.html
- Story Junction, Story AR, 870-867-3999. Located near the corner of AR 298 and US 27, near OT mile 122.
- Ouachita Outdoor Outfitters, Hot Springs AR, 501-767-1373. Not located near trail but can help in eastern portions near Hot Springs, OT miles 121 – 190. Contact Don Jackson at email@example.com.
- Bill Mooney, Little Italy, AR. 501-330-2843. When you can't find any other ride. This is not a business, just a fun thing. Will shuttle (if available) from HWY 7 (OT MM 160.4) to Pinnacle Mountain State Park (OT MM 222). Has been known to shuttle through hikers from Talimena State Park to Pinnacle Mountain State Park.